Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Packing for FITS

It has been far too long since I've made a post. Some updates on my path to endurance include finding a new barn that hopefully will continue to work out perfectly. The horses include Thoroughbreds and large draft horses, along with a little half-Arab. I did my first lesson there on Friday, which went wonderfully. The lovely TB I'll be riding for awhile is a 17 hand mare named Angel, who has a trot to dream about. For one of my first times in an English saddle, I really enjoyed it! As we continue our lesson program, my trainer and I will be doing short trail rides to a local Equestrian Park to work in the arena there to do dressage foundations and eventually broaden to jumping and ground work. It's a great low-key barn that by combining trail riding and arena work will be a good place to spend my pre-horse-owning years. I spent a few hours after the lesson to help with the barn chores and spend some more time around the horses. I'm going back out today for my second lesson at the barn with the darling Angel. Only difficulty will be continuing to afford lessons until we can get to the point I can work towards a lease of a horse in exchange for barn work. College budgets are hard!

Now on to the real stuff: Endurance!
Tomorrow I will be headed to Fun In The Sun Endurance Ride in North Florida. I am so very excited for it. I will not be riding, but I'll be volunteering for Friday to Sunday, in whatever way I may be needed. The recommendation has been to work as a vet scribe to learn the absolute most about Endurance Riding, which I will try my best to volunteer as this weekend. There are also a few people I'm looking forward to meeting, and more riders I would love to be able to talk to. Of course, being surronded by Arabians and actually being at a ride camp for the first time will be one of the best experiences. Have I said I'm excited enough? The weather is looking out to be perfect, cold enough to wear my new Green Bean hoodie and perfect camping weather. First time ever going to an endurance ride... It's kind of the start of the journey, isn't it? 

 It's going to be quite a long drive, so I have to pack everything I'll need tonight and double (if not triple) check that everything is there. I'm sure the riders have done this a few times already! 

What to Bring to Volunteer
•Tent (check for all poles and pieces) 
•Pillow and Blankets 
•Waterproof tent cover
•Headlamp/Flashlight
•Water Bottles
•Clothes for Thursday night-Sunday
•Cash/Keys
•Portable Charger
•Phone Charger/Phone
•Sealed Snacks
•Hat/Gloves/Sunglasses/Headbands
•Small book for notes
•Spare pens 
•Tolietries 
•Spare Shoes
•(to be continued) 

Onto packing and finishing the weekends studying! Pictures for sure to follow. 


1 comment:

  1. Just a plug for vet scribing -- I've only gotten to do it once so far but it was fascinating -- I hope to repeat the experience again this year! P&R volunteer was also a great way to meet people and practice taking pulses, but a little higher-pressure. Have fun, whatever you do!

    ReplyDelete